Discrepancies On Burn Management Knowledge Among General Physicians In West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia

Badariyatud Dini, Nyoman Putu Riasa


Background:: ISBI Practice guidelines (PGs) for burn care are designed to improve burn care in resource-limited setting (RLS) and also become the standard of burn care. Discrepancy of burn care knowledge among emergency physicians will influence the implementation of ISBI PGs. Objective: of this study is to determine the discrepancy of burn care knowledge among the general physicians working in emergency unit of public hospitals in West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia. Method: Validated questionnaires were distributed to emergency unit of 12 hospitals in West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia. The questionnaire consist of 9 topics regarding: (a) burn center description, (b) referral criteria, (c) complications of burn trauma, (d) initial assessment, (e) burn extent calculation, (f) initial resuscitation, (g) monitoring, (h) inhalation injury and (i) wound management. Each topic consists of 10 questions or statements regarding burn care with ISBI PGs as the reference. The score for each question was 1 or 0. Total score of each topic was 10. The total score was divided into 3 categories (low score was 0-30, moderate score was 31-60 and high score was 61-90). Result: As many as 94 questionnaires were returned out of 108 questionnaires that were distributed. As many as 78% of respondents had high knowledge score while the remaining 22% of respondents had moderate knowledge score. Conclusion: The majority of emergency physicians in West Nusa Tenggara had high knowledge level of burn care. The lowest knowledge level is on initial burn assessment and resuscitation, monitoring of burn resuscitation and burn wound management topics

Full Text:



ISBI Practice Guidelines Committee. ISBI Practice Guidelines for Burn Care. Burns. 2016; 42:953–1021

Cassidy TJ, et al. Transfer time to a specialist burn service and influence on burn mortality in Australia and New Zealand: A multi-centre, hospital based retrospective cohort study. Burns. 2015; 41:735–741

Breederveld RS, et al, Effect of training in the Emergency Management of Severe Burns on the knowledge and performance of emergency care workers as measured by an online simulated burn incident. Burns. 2011;37:281–287

Allison K, Porter K, Consensus on the pre-hospital approach to burns patient management. Accident and Emergency Nursing. 2004;12:53–57

Allison K, The UK pre-hospital management of burn patients: current practice and the need for a standard approach. Burns. 2002;28:135–142

Munzberg M et al, In view of standardization: Comparison and analysis of initial management of severely burned patients in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Burns. 2015; 41:33–38

Vogt PM, Busche MN. Evaluation of infrastructure, equipment and training of 28 burn units/burn centers in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Burns. 2011; 37:257–264

Gabbe BJ et al. Profile, transport and outcomes of severe burns patients within an inclusive, regionalized trauma system. ANZ J Surg. 2011; 81:725–730

Klein MB et al. An Analysis of the Long-Distance Transport of Burn Patients to a Regional Burn Center. Journal of Burn Care & Research. 2007; Vol 2: 1

Klein MB et al. An outcome analysis of patients transferred to a regional burn center: Transfer status does not impact survival. Burns. 2006; 23:940–945

Bell N et al. Does direct transport to provincial burn centres improve outcomes? A spatial epidemiology of severe burn injury in British Columbia, 2001–2006. Can J Surg, 2012; Vol. 55:2

Sheridan R et al. Early burn center transfer shortens the length of hospitalization and reduces complications in children with serious burn injuries. J Burn Care Rehabil. 1999;20:347-50

Baartman MGA et al. Early management in children with burns: Cooling, wound care and pain management. JBUR-4891; 6

Rea S et al. Burn first aid in Western Australia - Do healthcare workers have the knowledge?. Burns. 2005;31:1029–1034

Greenhalgh DG et al. Burn resuscitation: The results of the ISBI/ABA survey. Burns. 2010; 36:176–182

Chung KK et al. Evolution of Burn Resuscitation in Operation Iraqi Freedom. Journal of Burn Care & Research. Vol.27: 5

DOI: https://doi.org/10.18860/jim.v6i1.15401


  • There are currently no refbacks.


Editorial Office:

Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences,
Universitas Islam Negeri Maulana Malik Ibrahim
Gedung Ibnu Thufail Lt.1, Jln. Locari, Desa Tlekung, Kota Batu
Phone (+62) 85746163772, (+62) 85259506000, Faximile (+62) 341 558933
e-mail: medicaljournal@uin-malang.ac.id

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.